Welcome to a new website and to an expanded Knight Digital Media Center at USC Annenberg.
The redesigned and refocused website reflects a new emphasis on helping locally focused foundations meet community information needs. It is a natural expansion of KDMC’s expertise in guiding news entrepreneurs as well as helping news organizations transform in the digital landscape.
The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation is supporting this mission with $1.66 million through the Knight Community Information Challenge which engages community and place-based foundations in supporting news and information projects.
KDMC and Knight Foundation announced the effort at the Council on Foundations' Fall conference where the center hosted a workshop for foundation leaders on digital strategies.
The KDMC’s new website is designed as a learning resource for community foundations and others seeking to develop and sustain local news and information initiatives and services.
The website includes self-directed learning modules on such topics as partnerships, metrics and developing a technical strategy. In addition, the website provides examples of successful news and information projects, news on innovation strategies and technology, events calendars and other features of interest to news entrepreneurs and community foundations.
KDMC's respected senior programming consultant Michele McLellan continues to blog on topics important to organizations and individuals engaged in developing and nurturing credible sources of news and information.
With Knight support the KDMC will:
- Host annual "boot camps" for Knight challenge grantees focused on project startup skills;
- Provide coaching for new and current Knight challenge grantees:
- Offer virtual classes for KCIC grantees as well as other foundation project leaders and news entrepreneurs;
- Provide regional seminars on digital strategies for local foundation CEOs and organization leaders;
- Host workshops on business skills essential to startups' success and sustainability.
For more info on upcoming KDMC learning opportunities and events sign up on our homepage for the center's weekly newsletter.