Recently Journalism.co.uk published two useful lists of recommended smartphone apps for journalists: 15 for Android devices, and 15 for the iPhone. Many are free; prices for non-free apps are listed in Euros.
Recommended Android apps include:
- Imagegeotag. Camera app that lets you tag images with location, date, time, compass data and more.
- Multimedia Slides Creator. Create quick audio slideshows.
- PCM Recorder. Records audio at a much higher quality than the standard Android voice recording app.
Recommended iPhone apps include:
- Byword. Text editor with easy Dropbox.com sync.
- Vyclone. Allows up to four phones to record footage of the same event.
- 1st Video. Full video editing suite for iPhone.
Many of the apps on these lists have versions available for both mobile platforms. Some of the iPhone apps also have iPad-optimized versions available. The iPhone apps probably will also be fairly easy to use as-is on the new iPad Mini, announced yesterday by Apple.