Not a member? Sign up
Michele McLellan

Michele McLellan

Senior Program Consultant

Michele McLellan is a writer, editor and consultant who works on projects that help strengthen the emerging local news ecosystem, whether it is online news start ups working to become sustainable or traditional news organizations that are trying to shape their new role in the digital world. In addition to being the senior program consultant for Knight Digital Media Center, Michele has served as a Knight Community Information Challenge Circuit Rider who advises community foundations that are supporting news and information projects in their areas. She founded the Block by Block Community News Summit for independent online community publishers and she created and publishes Michele's List, a database of promising local news start ups, in collaboration with the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalsm.

She has reported in depth on the emerging local news ecosystem and revenue models for news, including "Best Practices for Advertising Sales at Digital News Startups" and "2015 State of Local News Startups." She also authored the KDMC report "Digital Leads: 10 keys to newsroom transformation."

Previously, she directed a $2.5 million Knight Foundation project that demonstrated the link between strategic newsroom training, newsroom culture and a news organization's ability to adapt and innovate. She is an author of two books and numerous studies on leadership and the emerging news landscape. She was a  Nieman Fellow at Harvard Unviersity in 2001-002 and a Reynolds Journalism Institute fellow at the Missouri School of Journalism in 2009-10. 

Michele McLellan's Blogs and Trainings

Crowdsourcing journalism has come a long way, can go even farther

A new study finds that successful crowdsourcing efforts are “high-touch, labor-intensive efforts” that can pay off in high levels of Read More

Local independent news operations demonstrate staying power

My survey of 287 independent online news sites finds 60 percent five years or older. The remaining 40 percent launched Read More

[Archived Webinar, Sept. 2015] Best Practices: Ad Sales for Community News Startups

Learn how local and national online news startups are professionalizing their ad sales and growing revenue. Read More

Submit an event

Periscope Community Summit

January 14, 2016 - January 17, 2016

Scopers from all over the world will gather at the San Francisco summit to celebrate and share knowledge about community, social and live streaming.

January 15 deadline for 2016 California Health Journalism Fellowship

Fri, January 15, 2016 5:00 pm

The deadline for applications is January 15 for the March 6-10 fellowship, presented by the Center for Health Journalism at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism. The seminar will be taught by prize-winning journalists, community health leaders, policy analysts and health care experts.

IRE Computer Assisted Reporting, March 10-13

March 10, 2016 - March 13, 2016

Join IRE and NICAR in Denver for the annual conference devoted to data journalism at the Denver Marriott City Center. 

SXSW Interactive Festival, March 11-15

March 11, 2016 - March 14, 2016

The 23rd annual SXSW Interactive Festival returns to Austin from Friday, March 11 through Tuesday, March 15.

Sunshine Week, March 13-19

March 13, 2016 - March 18, 2016

Join us in the annual nationwide celebration of access to public information and what it means for you and your community. Open government is good government.

ONA-Poynter present Leadership Academy for Women in Digital Media

Mon, May 2, 2016 8:00 am

The interactive, five-day program for 28 U.S.-based participants will focus on critical leadership skills specific to digital media for the industry’s next generation of women leaders. The tuituion-free program will be held at Poynter’s campus in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Submit an event