Not a member? Sign up

Latest Posts

Community News Leadership 3.0

Local independent news operations demonstrate staying power

11/15/2015 | by: Michele McLellan

My survey of 287 independent online news sites finds 60 percent five years or older. The remaining 40 percent launched between 2011 and 2014.

News for Digital Innovators

Hacks/Hackers launches Connect events in SF, NYC and London

11/21/2015 | by: Nancy Yoshihara

The series for news media entrepreneurs is a global effort by Hacks/Hackers and Google News Lab to “seed new media ventures, grow deeper connections within the community, and attract new collaborators." 

Knight Blog

Ethnic media and community: four lessons for philanthropy


The Silicon Valley Community Foundation partnered with New America Media on a nine-month project to support ethnic media outlets in education reporting. We learned how foundations can support community media.

Submit an event

Periscope Community Summit

January 14, 2016 - January 17, 2016

Scopers from all over the world will gather at the San Francisco summit to celebrate and share knowledge about community, social and live streaming.

IRE Computer Assisted Reporting, March 10-13

March 10, 2016 - March 13, 2016

Join IRE and NICAR in Denver for the annual conference devoted to data journalism at the Denver Marriott City Center. 

SXSW Interactive Festival, March 11-15

March 11, 2016 - March 14, 2016

The 23rd annual SXSW Interactive Festival returns to Austin from Friday, March 11 through Tuesday, March 15.

Sunshine Week, March 13-19

March 13, 2016 - March 18, 2016

Join us in the annual nationwide celebration of access to public information and what it means for you and your community. Open government is good government.

Submit an event

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Training Spotlight

Leading Your Organization and Engaging Your Community in a Networked, Digital World (Santa Fe, N.M.)

Knight Digital Media Center presented a unique workshop for foundation leaders at Philanthropy Southwest in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on October 22. Participants learned about the latest trends in digital and social media engagement.

[Archived Webinar, Oct. 2015] Digital Leads: 10 Keys to Newsroom Transformation

Learn about a proven process for transforming traditional, print-focused newsrooms into multiplatform news providers.